BallerTV is a venture-backed startup that is building the world’s largest youth sports media network from the ground up. Our mission is to connect families and communities everywhere through the unifying power of live sports. Similar to the early days of ESPN, we are building a generational business that will forever change the landscape of sports broadcasting. We have a clear path to scale, and our Network Engineer, Sporting Venues will be mission-critical in helping us succeed.
BallerTV provides livestreaming video coverage of a number of youth sports across hundreds of local sporting venues and growing. We rely on a solid, non-fluctuating network connection for uploading video. The filming devices connecting to the network are Apple products (iphones, ipads) and can connect via LTE upload over the device’s SIM card, LTE upload over a BallerTV mobile hotspot, or wifi upload over a venue’s network.
Occasionally, we need to livestream at venues that have poor LTE cell reception and/or variable wifi connections. The job of our Network Engineer, Sporting Venues will be to help identify a network setup at these locations that will produce reliable upload speeds on all our filming devices. In most cases this will involve coordination with the IT or other staff at these venues and may often require on-site visits.
We are currently looking for an experienced IT professional to help take the reliability and quality of our livestreaming video content capture to the next level. For the right individual, we believe there could also be a business development component to the role. We are looking to form relationships with Venue and Facility Directors and come up with reliable internet network solutions together for future BallerTV-filmed events. Lastly, as we expand into more outdoor field sports, internet solutions beyond venue wifi will also be required.
This position will report directly into our Operations team responsible for executing the video content capture at all our live events. (This means it will be unique relative to a traditional network engineer role). We have offices in Pasadena, CA and Indianapolis, IN but we are also open to remote locations for the right candidate. We are looking for a full-time role but will also explore contract work.
- Communicating and coordinating with Event Directors, Venue Managers and/or IT technicians at venues to come up with a reliable network solution for upcoming BallerTV-filmed events
- The WiFi upload over venue network may require debugging if it is not performing as expected which will require a strong understanding of network infrastructure
- Helping staff at venues debug their own networks to figure out why their internet is not performing as expected
- Create plans and documentation for BallerTV Ops team to execute these internet solutions in specific venues
- Draw up diagrams of venue layouts, deciding placement of access points, etc
- Set network infrastructure in place in the venue to be used at a later date for our events (i.e. lay out ethernet cables and access points in optimal locations)
- Frequent travel will be required as on-site work at the venues is often necessary.
- Build and cultivate relationships with IT staff and venue directors at key venues across the US. Brainstorm solutions and contracts that pave the way for successful future events.
What we look for:
- Network infrastructure knowledge
- A solid understanding of how routers, switches, access points and modems work
- Understanding what can cause bottlenecks in network speed
- Strong communication skills
- Use exact language to communicate with the “tech person” at every venue. Often this person may have limited knowledge of their own network.
- We have events at venues of all shapes and sizes and will coordinate with people of different technical expertise
- The ability to build rapport and relationships with venue directors and local staff
- Quick on your feet
- Venues can be large and often this role will walk in without prior information. The right candidate will need need to be resourceful to locate IT closets, routers, and access points as well as identify where BallerTV cameras will be set up to record the games so that signal strength can be test at each location
- Possess excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to perform well under pressure
- Work effectively independently and also in larger team settings
- A degree in network administration, information technology, or computer science with previous experience in IT is preferred
- Open to travel (up to 50%)
To apply for this job please visit ballertv.applytojob.com.