Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
About Our Team & Job Summary:
The Live Events Operations Manager is a key member of Discovery’s Media Engineering & Operations team overseeing the planning and execution of live on-air linear and digital events across Discovery’s global network portfolio. This role oversees the planning and execution of live broadcast, live digital, and live social on-air events, and manages a core team of Live Events Operators. This is a highly collaborative, forward-facing position that works in conjunction with internal Media Engineering & Operations counterparts, and domestic and international network clients, to establish live event operational & technical resource requirements and see events through to successful completion. The ideal candidate for this role will possess an overall enthusiasm for all-things live and bring a blend of technical proficiency in on-air playout operations, live production and graphics, as well as partner/client relationship skills to navigate high-level production & creative discussions, manage client expectations, and provide operational and technical input as needed.
– Serve as the POC for Media Engineering & Operations, Live Technical Operations and network clients throught the planning and execution of all live events, coordinating efforts with all parties involved for each event.
– Manage 4-5 employees directly; Oversee additional employees indirectly during live events.
– Document and distribute live, digital and social event SOPs.
– Work in accordance with network and digital clients in a professional, poised demeanor to build and foster relationships and understand each other’s needs.
– Coordinate/participate in client creative & production meetings to gather requirements, provide operational input, and distribute information to relevant teams.
– Oversee metrics reporting for on air linear and digital events
– Document and sustain catalog of linear and digital live and social technical capabilities, requirements and limitations.
– Be a hands-on contributor to innovation and implementation of new & updated live, digital and social system capabilities based on technology advancements and client/business initiatives.
– Act as primary contact for any live technical issues, including all testing and troubleshooting to resolve issues.
– All other duties as assigned.
– Minimum of 4-years prior experience required directly overseeing employees including performance management and development.
– Minimum of 4-years of live event planning, production and management experience preferred.
– Must be flexible to support 24/7 broadcast operations, live linear and digital events.
– Must be able to handle high pressure, multi-tasking situations while maintaining a professional manner.
– Must have strong team leadership abilities and the willingness to lead by example.
– Excellent customer service and client management skills required.
– Demonstrated knowledge of Master Control, broadcast automation systems, and a working understanding of a cloud-based IP environment.
– Strong IT proficiency required including Microsoft Office and Google Suite programs.
– This position is considered an essential role. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
– Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Get the latest broadcast engineering jobs to your inbox weekly
To apply for this job please visit jobs.discovery.com.