KSBY-TV, The Scripps NBC Station in San Luis Obispo, CA, is seeking a full-time Broadcast Engineer who will provide preventative maintenance, emergency repairs and operations of video, audio and radio frequency (RF) systems, including satellite and microwave equipment.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Provide world class customer service to all business partners internal and external to the Scripps organization with a positive “can do” attitude.
- Support, maintain, and install the full range of broadcast, Radio Frequency (RF), and production systems based on both Serial Digital Interface (SDI), and Internet Protocol (IP) based architecture.
- Setup and enhance software, hardware, server, automation and workflow systems, projects and equipment to enable our teams to be both productive and efficient. Ensure all meet current industry standards and comply with Company policies and expectations.
- Partner with the news department to develop, build and support content workflow and support systems including integration and problem-solving software, hardware, networking and infrastructure. This will include support and integration of audio and video, cameras, editing systems, streaming, content management and workflow.
- Use company purchasing management system to purchase and track assets and services as well as replacement cycles. This will include contributing to budgeting planning with the team and Director of Engineering to support business needs.
- Drive and assist in the operation, support, and maintenance of mobile live trucks which may involve work in confined spaces and on top of vehicle with the use of mobile work platform. Live truck technology may include microwave, satellite, cellular bonding, and video/audio equipment.
- Resolve complex problems not covered by existing procedures or practices independently, often under pressure.
- Design improvements to our operation.
- Maintain logs and reports as per FCC Rules and Regulations.
- Provide, enhance, and utilize proactive monitoring system to anticipate technical issues and be able to act accordingly.
- Update technical plan documentation when installations are completed to include changes that are made.
- Document and maintain records of equipment repairs.
- Research part numbers and pricing to determine where to purchase and the cost of repairs.
- Operate studio, news and control room equipment.
- Perform other duties as directed.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Degree in computer science, electronic engineering, or related subject; or equivalent experience.
- Network certification required (Cisco, CompTIA Network+).
- SBE certification preferred.
- At least 3 year broadcast operations experience preferred.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Must have working knowledge of all the following areas, and specialize in at least one of these areas:
- Broadcast and production systems support and engineering including SDI and IP based technology and workflow.
- Extensive knowledge of computer networking, broadcast automation and workflow systems.
- Transmitter support and engineering.
- A strong understanding and ability to work with IT/cellular systems, servers, and devices, and actively pursue emerging technology in these areas.
- Solid working knowledge of software for server and client operating systems including active directory.
- Working knowledge of Computer Aided Design (CAD).
- Positive “can do” attitude and willingness to learn and grow with the job.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver a high level of customer service.
- Team player.
- Effective communication skills with all level of internal and external customers and partners.
- Ability to resolve complex problems not covered by existing procedures or practices independently often whilst under pressure.
- Knowledge of FCC rules.
- Ability and willingness to learn complex new systems.
- Self-motivated to work independently under timeline to achieve departmental and station goals.
- Able to comprehend schematics, mechanical drawings and technical manuals.
- Must have ability to prioritize tasks and work within deadlines.
- Familiarity with various test instruments, alignment apparatuses and knowledge of personal computers.
- Deep operational knowledge of studio, news and control room technology.
- Ability to guide and coach colleagues.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including able to work multiple days, holidays, evenings, weekends, and possible overtime hours as needed
- Availability to travel over multiple days is possible.
- Must be able to work in changing weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
- Pre-employment screening is required, including a drug screening.
- This position is covered by the terms of a collective bargaining agreement.
To apply for this job please visit scripps.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.